Online training refers to a number of methodologies where learners are trained via use of technology to deliver learning, as opposed to traditional classroom training. Among other methods, this includes eLearning (self-paced learning including eBooks, voice over narrations and videos) and Virtual Instructor-led training (VILT) which is a facilitator-led online training (using webinar technologies such as MS Teams/Zoom) to simulate the traditional classroom training environment.
Did you know that 98% of companies are planning to use eLearning by 2020, according to an article in Small Business Trends? But even if others are doing it, why should you consider eLearning for your company? There are of course many benefits to using eLearning to replace the traditional classroom training. But first, what exactly is eLearning? eLearning is learning through using electronic technologies to access educational curriculum via the internet. In most cases, it refers to a course, program or degree delivered completely online, but can also be combined with other learning methods in the form of blended learning. It is fast becoming the preferred method of training for companies today, especially when combined with VILT to allow learners to obtain direct guidance, interaction, and support from experienced facilitators in a live virtual training session.
With eLearning, your employees can schedule where, when, and at what pace they study. There is no travel required. Plus, studies have shown that with well-designed eLearning solutions, people retain more as they can repeat sections if needed.
Benefits of Online Training (eLearning and VILT)
With the new restrictions and protocols with COVID-19, companies are using technology to enhance the delivery of their employee training programs. There are multiple benefits for both employees and employers when it comes to online training:
- Access to training material at any time of the day, any day of the week
- eLearning allows for greater flexibility; employees can learn at their own pace
- Train multiple people in different locations and save on travel costs
- Schedule short sessions around busy schedules
- Online training is also effective in terms of information retention. Incorporating mid-course exercises, quizzes, and summaries helps users retain what they have learned.
- Helps achieve career goals and develop new skills
- eLearning can help to reduce employee turnover. Employees who receive insufficient job training in their first year often leave their organisations as they feel overwhelmed. Employees with longer tenure will leave if they feel undervalued and not given opportunities to develop and grow. When you invest in online training for your employees, they will be more likely to stay with your company.
Still not convinced that eLearning is right for your business? Contact us – we can run a live demo of a customised E-learning solution already tailored for your company – at no cost to you!